Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: UNBELIEVABLE: mp3 tags STILL not written / read correctly... :}( star rating not seen on other laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

2 laptops... deleted both databases for try out (so clean)

laptop 1: star rated several mp3 folders from within vdj, automatically written to files ( is suppose )

transferred to laptop 2, several rated files were unrated!

batch reloaded all tags , nothing...same

so some rated mp3's are still written in database only not into the file and this sucks for people using several laptops etc.

this is STILL not good after all this time...! PLEASE FIX ASAP this is major

thanks

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 5:12 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Find an mp3 file that didn't save it's rating and open it in tag editor. Confirm it has no rating tag, then set a rating and write the tag for that one file.

If it doesn't save the tag then upload that file so we can see why it's not saving.

I don't see this sucking that much for people using multiple machines, since the sensible thing would be to sync the databases so that you get all the non-tag data too. My backup machine and backup drive have exact replica databases which are automatically synced between machines.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 7:11 am
long live Robomirror.

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 7:30 am
SBDJ wrote :
Find an mp3 file that...

As Scott said, you should also check the filetype of the songs that don't save the rating. Not ALL filetypes support rating...

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 7:31 am

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 11:47 am
SBDJ wrote :
Find an mp3 file that didn't save it's rating and open it in tag editor. Confirm it has no rating tag, then set a rating and write the tag for that one file.

If it doesn't save the tag then upload that file so we can see why it's not saving.

I don't see this sucking that much for people using multiple machines, since the sensible thing would be to sync the databases so that you get all the non-tag data too. My backup machine and backup drive have exact replica databases which are automatically synced between machines.

this has been advertised as a version 8 improvement so it could be considered a moral duty to finish the job and actually fix this. personal opinions about whether it sucks or not are... well quite irrelevant imho. In my personal workflow I can say that I want the tags to be hardcoded into the files and not into the database. A hardcoded native file rating system can be considered backup safer than database based I think. I will check again and send the files to adion if they aren't written well. I have his mail. Thanks

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 5:56 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
SBDJ wrote :
Find an mp3 file that...

As Scott said, you should also check the filetype of the songs that don't save the rating. Not ALL filetypes support rating...

obviously mp3 files only. I might be weird but not quite that stupid.

co developed and beta tested for Roland, Cakewalk, Presonus and Hercules. requested to be a beta tester for vdj8 long time ago. If only....

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 5:59 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Timm United wrote :
this has been advertised as a version 8 improvement so it could be considered a moral duty to finish the job and actually fix this.

I'm not sure I'd say it was 'advertised'. If you are able to replicate and thus assist us to find the bug, then yes, we will fix it if possible.

Timm United wrote :
personal opinions about whether it sucks or not are... well quite irrelevant imho.

You offered your personal opinion; is no counter opinion allowed?

Posted Sat 23 May 15 @ 4:45 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Timm United wrote :
this has been advertised as a version 8 improvement so it could be considered a moral duty to finish the job and actually fix this.

I'm not sure I'd say it was 'advertised'. If you are able to replicate and thus assist us to find the bug, then yes, we will fix it if possible.

Timm United wrote :
personal opinions about whether it sucks or not are... well quite irrelevant imho.

You offered your personal opinion; is no counter opinion allowed?

myes obviously any opinion is allowed. However it kind of felt like your opinion tried to marginalise / trivialise my point. Which is it should work (especially after all this time) And you offering a workaround doesnt quite change that. However it wasn't meant to be unfriendly. However sometimes I feel that devs dont really care if it doesn't mess with THEIR workflow, which I think isn't the way it should be. Anyway I will try to find the specific files, send them over and am willing to cooperate constructively and in a positive way.

Posted Sun 24 May 15 @ 3:44 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It is not unbelievable that something is not working after no matter what amount of time if nobody ever mentions or notices that it is not working.
We can't fix things that we don't know are broken.

Posted Tue 26 May 15 @ 3:42 am
Adion wrote :
It is not unbelievable that something is not working after no matter what amount of time if nobody ever mentions or notices that it is not working.
We can't fix things that we don't know are broken.

Dear Adion, not quite.... please check out my januari 25th post about this. (As you may recall we had a conversation about it.) I failed to send the files to you but will do now. But I mentioned it in quite an intense post as you can read below. ;-)

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/197833/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/This_______drives_me_INSANE______O____database_rating_doesnt_work____whats_up_devs___.html?search=mp3%20rating&page=1

Posted Tue 26 May 15 @ 4:42 am

Posted Wed 27 May 15 @ 5:25 pm
correction: It actually works ok after rechecking. I will rectify this in another post. My sincere apologies for this...!

Posted Thu 28 May 15 @ 5:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)